Watch Podium's latest videos
Watch all of Podium's latest interviews with London 2012 organisers, hopefuls and volunteers on our YouTube channel. Watch now >>
Register now with Games Experts
A free to use website allowing members of the world’s media and academic community to search for and contact professionals who are leading experts in a variety of London 2012 related fields. View website >>
Your chance to get involved...
Following on from the success of London 2012, Podium will work with the organising committees of future sporting and cultural mega-events including Glasgow 2014 and Rio 2016, championing the skills, experience and expertise of the Further and Higher Education sectors.
You can keep up-to-date with our developments via our newsletter and by regularly checking the news, events and opportunities sections of our website, where we’ll be bringing you the latest job, volunteer and competition opportunities.
The London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games provided a unique opportunity to inspire a generation of young people, and more than 90% of colleges and universities across the UK took part, proving that the Games really did belong to the whole nation.
The Further and Higher Education’s involvement with London 2012 extended far beyond sport to include areas such as skills, culture, business, volunteering, research and innovation.
Both the London 2012 Cultural Olympiad and the Games’ official education programme, Get Set provided huge opportunities to shed a global spotlight on the role of universities and colleges in the life of the UK and the wider world.
Here are just some of the outstanding achievements from the FE and HE sectors' contribution to the London 2012 Games:
- More than 520 colleges and universities around the UK delivered at least one London 2012-related project. This comprises 94% of the Higher Education sector and 91% of the Further Education sector
- Across the UK, more than 82% of the FE colleges registered with the Get Set network
- More than 40 of the Further and Higher Education institutions hosted 60 London 2012 training camps
- More than 20,000 students and recent graduates under the age of 24 helped form the 70,000-strong team of official London 2012 Games Maker volunteers
- More than 100,000 students from across the UK registered with ‘Summer Job of a Lifetime’ to work at London 2012 venues
- More than 60% of Higher Education institutions across the UK delivered London 2012 inspired cultural and creative projects
- College and university representatives made up part of the 8,000 Torchbearers, with the Flame visiting more than 20 colleges and university campuses across the UK
- Thousands of students, staff and alumni from colleges and universities took part in the London 2012 Opening, Closing and Victory ceremonies
- More than 50% of Team GB athletes were products of Further and Higher Education
- 90% of Games-related projects were delivered through partnerships either through cross-sector collaborations or with external partners.
- More than half of FE and HE institutions are seeking to continue partnerships developed from the Games into 2013 and beyond.
- More than 50% of the Further Education sector say the Games have led to increased sports participation amongst students
- Around 50% of HEIs rank increased organisational profile as a significant benefit from the Games
- 75% of colleges and 50% of universities have plans to increase sport participation and community engagement post-Games
For more information on work and projects related to the 2012 Games taking place near you, go to In your region. If you are attracted by the idea of London 2012 legacy engagement but unclear of what you can offer, visit the showcase page to see a range of inspirational projects and activities or download a copy of Spotlight.
- Hackney Community College is education partner in iCITY £1billion London 2012 legacy project
- Apply to volunteer at the Festival of Rugby League World Cups
- Apply now to host Youth Sport Trust’s Young Ambassador conferences at your university
- Enter competition to win tickets to 2013 UEFA women's Champions League final
- Enter to win tickets for the European Athletics Team Championships 2013